April 8, 2009
Basset Artesien Normand
The Basset artésien normand (Norman Artesian Basset) is a short legged hound type dog developed in France. The word Basset refers to short legged hounds. Bassets are walking hounds, which are followed by the hunter on foot. The short legs mean that they would not get too far away from the hunter.
The Basset artésien normand was used to hunt rabbits and other small game alone or in packs, but today they are primarily bred to be pets.
The height of the Basset artésien normand is between 30 and 36cms (11.8 to 14.2ins), with a ratio of the height to the body length of about 5 : 8. Weight is roughly 17kgs (37.4lbs). The coat is short and tricolored (fawn and white with black blanket, a patch across the back) or bicolored (fawn and white). The head and long ears are distinctive, and the temperament should be calm and good-natured.
November 4, 2008
We know that there are many more diseases which effects dogs and can also cause death. Proper vaccinations, regular veterinary visits and a knowledge and familiarity of one’s dog breed are among the essential keys to maintaining your dog’s health. It is thus important to detect early symptoms of these diseases in your pet dogs and meet your vet as soon as possible.
It is a very contagious disease affecting the intestinal tract of the dogs.
Symptoms of Parvovirus:
This disease is severe symptoms like diarrhea, depression, decrease of appetite. The symptoms appear within hours of the infestation and can even kill the dog within 2 to 3 days of infection. Hence, it is considered as a deadly disease.
November 1, 2008
If your dog is injured he will be uncooperative during treatment, even going so far as to try and bit or scratch the caretaker. The dog may be frightened, so it’s very important for the caretaker to secure the dog so it calms down and doesn’t aggravate the existing wound or cause additional harm to it.
A simple dog pet first-aid kit should consist of scissors, tape, bandages and basic medications such as milk of magnesia, antibiotics, mineral oil and a common antidiarrheal formula
It is very necessary while treating that you have to muzzle the dog to protect the caretaker. To muzzle the dog, use tape or a cloth to loop around the dog’s mouth and then tie off the material behind the dog’s ears.
October 30, 2008
The summer season can create very much problem for your dog. The cause behind this is When a dog’s internal temperature is raised too high generally about 106 degrees F, a chemical reaction occurs that actually breaks down the cells in your pet’s body and can result in death.
So you should take a good care of dog to keep your dog healthy and prevent heat stroke.
- Give your dog a plenty of water and shakes in this season if he is outside, and also keep eyes on the temperature around your pet area.
- If your pet begins to show signs of heat suffering, stop in a shady spot and give him some water.
- Heat exhaustion is very common in bulldogs. Keep the bulldog inside as much as they need in order for them to cool down.
- Carry water with you when walking your dog. Watch your pet carefully for indications that he is over-heating, such as heavy panting, loss of energy, and any obvious weakness or stumbling, take him directly home and seek veterinary care.
- Never, leave your pet unattended in a parked car. Even if you park in the shade and leave the windows open slightly, the internal temperature of your car can heat up and put your dog in fatal danger within just a few minutes.
- To help your dogs feel cooler, fill a spray bottle with water and squirt him.
October 25, 2008
If you are having a pet at home you have definitely faced a problem that your pet is suffering from food allergy. The food allergies can appear in pets as early on as 5 or 6 months, they can also develop in adult dogs as late as 11 or 12 years old.
The symptoms food allergy dermatitis is excessive scratching, itching of hot spots and even skin infections.
As the people have the problem in food allergy that diarrhea an upset stomach, such happens with them also, because all food which are being ate with us are not eatable with dogs, so one should only give the specified foods to there pets means a dog food, if they are suffering from food allergy then you should start eliminating foods and changing the diet of your pet.